Let’s be honest, alcohol is pretty UNHEALTHY period.
But, sometimes ya just need a little night cap..
Or shots, shots, shots, shots, shots!
If you care about your health, but not enough to stop drinking, try giving these a sip:
1. Vodka and soda. Simple and boring. Low in calories . . . 96 per 1.5 ounces. But other than that, there’s nothing nutritious about it.
2. Michelada. Made from lager, limes, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce, with a little salt and pepper. It has vitamin C from the limes, and believe it or not, Worcestershire sauce has a lot of other vitamins in it.
3. Whiskey or gin. Same deal with the vodka and soda. Not super-high in calories, but no positive nutritional value either. Just drink it neat or on the rocks, because sugary mixers defeat the purpose. In more ways than one.
4. Wine. Wine has lots of nutrients, because it’s basically just decayed fruit. It has iron, potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants. And there are only 120 calories in a five-ounce glass, give or take.
5. Manhattan. Made of bourbon, sweet vermouth, and Angostura bitters. Because it’s mainly wine and bourbon, it has the same benefits as those drinks alone. And the bitters can be a cure for an upset stomach, according to some people.
6. Mimosas or bellinis. A bellini is just a mimosa with peach juice instead of orange juice. The main health benefits are from the vitamins in the fruit juices, though there are antioxidants in the champagne. The tradeoff is that you get a lot of calories.
7. Guinness. It’s made from more whole grains than lager, so you get some of the same nutritional benefits as you’d get from whole-grain bread products. And it actually has fewer calories than Coke.
8. Sangria. It’s all fruit, except for the red wine, gin, and triple sec. You can find recipes that are less sugary. But you get up to a full serving of fruit in one drink. Fiber, vitamin C, potassium, antioxidants, and B vitamins are all in there.
9. Bloody Mary. It’s actually a low-calorie drink, and it has the tomato juice, which is extremely healthy. Vitamins A and C, potassium, and antioxidants. Plus the tomatoes, horseradish, and celery all have cancer-fighting properties.
And as always, drink responsibly OR ELSE!