Man Contracts Flesh Eating Bacteria From Galveston Beach

Lauren Kelly

Well this isn’t good.

KHOU is reporting that 50-year-old Brian Parrott from Jacinto City had to have his right leg amputated due to a flesh-eating bacteria he contracted in Galveston. He’s currently in intensive care at LBJ Hospital.

According to the article, “A week ago Sunday, Parrott took his son and grandchildren to a Galveston beach.  The family spent at least two hours in the water without trouble. Days later, Parrott began vomiting, then noticed sores on his leg. Health officials in Harris County have not confirmed vibrio—commonly known as flesh-eating—infection, nor its origin.”

A statement released today from Donna Dailey, Parrott’s mom, said “The problem I have is (Parrott) didn’t know about it,” Dailey said.  “If (his family) had known about it, they surely wouldn’t have put (my) great-grandkids or his grandkids (in the water).

A Galveston Health Department spokesman said flesh-eating bacteria lives in coastal waters and can infect when someone’s open wound is exposed to brackish or salt water.  It is most commonly spread by eating undercooked shellfish, authorities said.

You guys can check out some (graphic) photos >>> here.

More from Lauren Kelly
Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From Houston's MIX 96-5

Cosmopolitan.com Happy Hour
Stalking From The Eyes Of A Victim

Listen Live