It all started as a joke and to be honest, there are stories about about people saying they looked like candy.
Then serious reports came in for parents to hide them from toddlers who REALLY thought they were candy.
Now for some reason there are viral videos everywhere of teens taking the “Tide Pod Challenge”. Where they are sticking them in their mouth, some chewing them and some are even cooking with them. What is wrong with people? I sound like my mother. Ok, back to the story.
Dr. Alfred Aleguas Jr., managing director of the Florida Poison Information Center in Tampa, said if someone mimicked the College Humor video, they could find themselves in a “life-threatening” situation. Swallowing even a small amount of the highly-concentrated detergent found in pods (which can happen if people bite it and spit contents out), can cause diarrhea and vomiting. In some cases, some of the detergent could even find its way into the lungs and cause breathing difficulties.
Also this is what Tide is doing, according to USA today
Tide has a page on its website dedicated to safe handling of its products, advising consumers to drink a glass of water or milk if a product is swallowed and call for help. If you or someone you know has eaten a laundry detergent pod, call the national poison help hotline at 1-800-222-1222 or text POISON to 797979 to save the number in your phone.
“Our laundry pacs are a highly concentrated detergent meant to clean clothes … They should not be played with, whatever the circumstance is, even if meant as a joke,” Tide said in a statement.