A new survey at SWNS Digital asked 2,000 people to rank the top 50 things that officially make you an “adult.” Here’s the top ten:
1. Paying your own bills.
2. Doing your own laundry.
3. Having a budget.
4. Moving out of your parents’ place.
5. Having insurance. Apparently that means any type of insurance.
6. Buying a house.
7. Making your own financial decisions without asking Mom and Dad.
8. Paying into a retirement account.
9. Keeping your house clean.
10. Buying groceries regularly instead of stocking up once a month.
Having kids just missed the top ten at #11; buying a vacuum cleaner, #22; following politics, #27; your parents asking you for advice, #39; making to-do lists, #43; getting your own pet made the list at #48.
The survey also found we don’t feel like an adult until we’re 25.